How It Works
CamRanger is a stand-alone device that connects to select Canon or Nikon DLSR cameras with a provided USB cable. It creates an ad-hoc WiFi network that your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch can then connect to. The free CamRanger iOS app then enabled control of the camera. There is no need for a computer or existing Internet connection.
- CamRanger operates on a rechargable, replaceable battery (extra batteries available for purchase). Battery life varies upon usage but 3 to 6 hours is typical; however, in ideal scenarios over 11 hours can be achieved for intervalometer with no iOS device connected.
- Charges with and can be powered by provided USB charging cable and US AC adapter.
- Wireless network enables connections up to 150 feet. (Slow connections have been maintained at 300 feet)
- Comes with protective case for storage and secure attachment.
- Includes Ethernet cable for firmware upgrades for future enhancements.
- Wirelessly stream live view from the camera to an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch.
- Double tap to increase magnification.
- Single tap to focus on an area or make incremental focus adjustments.
- Perform focus stacking.
- Frame rate of about 6 – 18 fps depending on camera.
Take and View Pictures
- Wirelessly capture images in multiple drive modes.
- Thumbnails automatically appear on the top of the screen after taking a picture.
- Tap a thumbnail to view the image and its associated meta-data.
- Images are always saved to the camera card and optionally downloaded to the iOS device.
- Optionally select to have images automatically view on the iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch.
View Full Resolution Images
- Double tap to view the image at full resolution.
- Supports full screen mode to maximize the screen size.
- Toggle a variety of overlays: AF points, highlight, shadow, grid lines, and aspect ratio.
- Configure your iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch to automatically display pictures as they are taken.
- Toggle on “Client Mode” to remove camera controls from the iOS device.
- Allows others such as clients, directors, or associates to quickly and wirelessly view the shots after they are taken by the photographer at the camera.
- Start and stop movie recording.
- View video while recording.
- Focus adjustments and touch focusing.
Movie features are very camera dependent, see supported cameras for more details.
Intervalometer and Bulb
- Configure as an intervalometer to take time lapse pictures.
- Supports bulb mode with typical control and by using custom defined shutter lengths.
- No need for your iOS device to remain connected after starting.
View and Set Camera Properties
- Shutter Speed
- Metering Mode
- Drive/Shooting Mode
- White Balance
- Image Format
- Focus Mode (Nikon only)
- Auto Exposure Mode (Nikon only)
- Exposure Compensation & Bracketing
- Software Auto-Focus toggle to toggle AF/MF
HDR / Advanced Bracketing
- Configure CamRanger to take a series of pictures automatically varying Shutter Speed, Aperture, or ISO.
- Images can then be post-processed with 3rd party software.
View Camera Card Contents
- View thumbnails of the images on your camera’s memory card.
- Select images to be permanently deleted or download them and save into your iOS photo library.
- Double tap image to view full resolution image.